Hi, I’m Phil Skaggs
and I'm running to be your Kent County Commissioner from Grand Rapids and East Grand Rapids (District 19)
My wife Beth and I met each other at the University of Michigan and eventually moved to East Grand Rapids in 2000. Beth is an attorney at Varnum Law and I work for State Rep. David LaGrand in Lansing after having spent my early career in academia. We are the proud parents of Lainey (high school) and Julia (middle school). We’ve tried very hard to be active in our community and our schools. I’ve been a board member for the Waves swim club, the EGR Athletic Boosters, and the Alliance for Investment subcommittee of the Grand Rapids Downtown Development Authority (DGRI).
I’ve been an East Grand Rapids City Commissioner for over 4 years and I’m proud of what I, my fellow commissioners, and our City staff have accomplished in that time. We have:
- Balanced our budget with sound fiscal practices while also investing for the future
- Focused on vital road and infrastructure improvements
- Built and upgraded parks
- Supported economic growth in the Gaslight Village business district
- Demonstrated that we are a welcoming community by passing a comprehensive non-discrimination ordinance to protect the LGBT community and all our residents
- Supported our public safety officers so we remain one of the safest communities in the state
- Improved City communication with citizens by upgrading the website and starting a Facebook page.